Tuesday, July 20, 2010

comfrey salve

My current living arrangement is such that I care for two doggies and tend a garden in exchange for rent. The lady of the house is groovy and knows all kinds of stuff about plants and herbs... it's fun learning from her, although I have to say that I am terrified I will kill all of her plants with my black thumb. I accidentally weeded an actual plant one day... which has been my biggest fear since taking this job... but she was fairly understanding, I could tell she was sad but she kind of shrugged it off.

Last night we were up until 11:00 or so making liquid soap (no lye ... just a soap base, herbs, and fragrance) and comfrey salve. I had a lot of fun - reminded me of when I was a kid and my girlfriends and I used to mix various perfumes to make "new" perfumes. Or when BF and I used to make our own teas combining various spices from the kitchen.

The salve is pretty awesome. It was fairly simple to make. I had to first extract aloe from aloe plant shoots. Then, in a double boiler, heat olive oil and steep various herbs along with comfrey leaves, melt beeswax, mix ingredients together and VOILA: a natural remedy for just about anything.
(click on the picture for the recipe)

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you've been learning a lot of cool stuff from the lady of your house. I didn't know she had potatoes in her garden too--and this salve looks interesting. Where does she get the containers to put it in? Looks like a nice gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not certain where she got the containers. She said she's had them for a while, I think she said she got them at a craft store. I know she saves bottles once their empty and uses the goo-gone stuff to remove logos so she can re-use them for soaps and salves.

    I think it'd be a really great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete